Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization, Göttingen
Complex Systems Earth Sciences and Climate Research
Type of Job
Job offer from March 27, 2018
The Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization at Göttingen, Germany, is an international research institute. It performs both experimental and theoretical fundamental scientific research and currently employs about 300 people. We seek to fill a PhD position within the laboratory of the department “Fluid Dynamics, Pattern Formation and Biocomplexity”.
Research areas for the PhD student include:
- Experimental investigation of moist convection and pattern formation.
- Laboratory investigation of clouds.
We are looking for excellent, enthusiastic and self-motivated early-career researchers with good communication skills to join our research team.
The PhD candidate should have:
- A Master’s degree (or comparable) in physics, mechanical/aerospace engineering, applied mathematics or related disciplines from a recognized university.
- Interest in fluid dynamics, turbulence, experimental physics, programming.
- Strong quantitative skills (data analysis, programming).
- Eagerness to learn new skills and apply established ones.
- Ability and desire to work in a multi-disciplinary international team.
- Good command of English language, German is an asset.
We are offering excellent working conditions in a highly international and interdisciplinary research environment. Salary and working hours are in accordance with the funding guidelines of the Max Planck Society for junior scientists. Working hours are fulltime; salary is 2/3 of E13 TVöD-Bund. Furthermore, we offer opportunities regarding work life balance as well as health promotion services. The PhD position is limited to three years. The starting date is flexible, but should start as soon as possible.
The Max-Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
Please apply via our application portal with the reference no MPIDS-W016 and submit a cover letter, your CV, a motivation letter, publication list, and two letters of reference. Applications received before 31st of May 2018 will be given full consideration.
Written applications will not be sent back.
Please contact Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Eberhard Bodenschatz, (Phone +49 551 5176-301; e-mail: email@example.com) should you have further questions.
Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Eberhard Bodenschatz
Am Faßberg 17